Rockwell: First Shave with a Safety Razor
If you’ve been accustomed to using a cartridge razor, the chances are that your skin may have become easily irritated in the past. The good news about using a safety razor is that you can experience a clean, streamlined shave with zero damage to your skin.
So, why have many men switched to the safety razor, and what can you expect during your first shave?
Find out below…
Why A Safety Razor Reigns Supreme
A safety razor, also known as a double-edged razor, boasts a metal handle with a double-sided razor blade clasped onto the end. The blades last anywhere from 5-10 shaves and can be used on multiple different safety razors. Unlike a cartridge razor, double-edged razors feature a safety bar to prevent the blade from aiming directly onto your skin. To induce contact between the blade and skin, the razor must be used at a specific angle which provides a closer shave, no dragging of the blade on the skin, or any clogged blades.
Rockwell Safety Razors were built to adjust between six blade angle settings - allowing beginners to shave with a double-edge razor with zero risks of nicks or cuts, all while preventing ingrown hairs and providing the best shave a safety razor can offer.
How to Begin Your First Shave with A Safety Razor
Follow this process for the best lather of your life!
- Place your shaving brush in hot water for a couple of minutes.
- Place some shaving cream or soap onto your brush (make sure your brush is well covered in the product).
- Apply your shaving cream or soap to your cheeks and swirl over your face in circular motions around the bottom half of your face and neck.
- The lather should be thick enough that you can’t see your face underneath.
Once you’ve lathered your stubble or beard, it’s time for the big shave! Here is a step by step guide to perfecting your first shave with a safety razor;
- Begin by inserting the blade into your razor. With Rockwell Razors you can select your ideal setting for a close shave. Just remember to be careful with the sharp edges. Once you’ve done this and your razor appears even on each side, you’re ready to start your supreme shave.
- With the angle of the blade around 30 degrees away from your face, start by shaving downwards. You don’t need to press down on your skin or alter the angle to achieve a smooth, clean shave.
- Using one side of your razor, use one-inch strokes moving downwards. You can use the other side of the blade once one side fills up with foam.
- When you’ve completed the first pass of the skin, its time to lather up again and start on the second pass – this time you should work inwards, towards the nose.
- After the second pass of skin, apply a third and final lather and shave outwards from the nose.
- Once completed, apply a little warm water to your face. Pat a post-shave aftershave balmon your skin to nourish.
Starting your shaving journey or changing things up is always a learning experience. New routine, new razor, and a new way to wake up in the morning. Our excellent customer support team is here to answer any questions you have and help you transition to the best shave of your life.